Last revised on: 2 March 2016
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. We draw your attention in particular to “Email Communications”. By visiting ecnmy.org you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Rethinking Economics REPCE of 13 Glenhurst Avenue, London, NW5 1PT, United Kingdom.
WHAT WE COLLECT
- Information You Give Us. We collect the information you provide when you register to use our Site, including your name, email address, and demographic information (such as your gender and occupation). We also collect the information you provide when you report a problem with our Site and the information you provide when you participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Site, including user generated content, such as articles and other content you submit to us via email or directly via our Site.
- Feedback. If you provide feedback to us, we may use and disclose such feedback on our Site, provided we do not associate such feedback with your personal data. If we choose to post your first and last name along with your feedback on our Site, we will obtain your consent prior to posting your name with your feedback. We will collect any information contained in such feedback and will treat the personal data in it in accordance with this Policy, provided that we may contact you in regards to such feedback.
- Our Relationship with Social Networking Sites. The Site includes interfaces that allow you to post comments on our Site by logging on using your username and password for certain social networking sites (each an “SNS”). Once the SNS has authorized your username and password, you will be able to post comments on our Site. We do not share any personal data that we have separately collected about you with the SNS and we do not have access to your account on that SNS.
We use Google Analytics which collects information using "cookies." Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or your mobile device by a website. These may be session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) or persistent cookies (which stay on your computer or mobile device until you delete them and which can be used to recognize your computer or mobile device when it visits other websites).
Google Analytics collects information about traffic to our Site and how users use our Site. The information gathered does not identify any individual visitor and is aggregated. It includes the number of visitors to our Site, the websites that referred them to our Site and the pages that they visited on our Site. It is only used to improve how our Site works. We use this information to help operate our Site more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information and to monitor the level of activity on our Site.
You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies
You can avoid the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of our Site by downloading and installing the browser plugin available via this link: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en-GB
In addition, you can typically remove and reject cookies from our Site with your browser settings. In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “settings”, “help” “tools” or “edit” facility). Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings. Further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu.
If you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our Site. For example, we may not be able to recognize your computer or mobile device and you may need to log in every time you visit our Site.
USE OF PERSONAL DATA
We use your personal data as follows:
- to operate, maintain, and improve our Site, products, and services;
- to respond to your comments and questions and to provide customer service;
- to send information including technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- to facilitate the processing of any payments or donations you make;
- to send you marketing communications about upcoming events, and other news about products and services offered by us and our selected partners where you have requested such information;
- to link or combine user information with other personal data;
- to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity;
- as we believe necessary or appropriate (a) to comply with applicable laws; (b) to comply with lawful requests and legal process, including to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (c) to enforce our Policy; and (d) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and
- as described in the “Sharing of Personal Data” section below.
SHARING OF PERSONAL DATA
We may share personal data as follows:
- Third Parties Designated by You. We may share your personal data with your consent. Please note that the use of your personal data by such third parties will be subject to such third parties’ own privacy policies.
- Our Third Party Service Providers. We may share your personal data with our third party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other similar services.
- We may share your personal data with analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
- Corporate Restructuring. We may share personal data when we do a business deal, or negotiate a business deal, involving the sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets. These deals can include any merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding.
- Other Disclosures. We may share personal data as we believe necessary or appropriate (a) to comply with applicable laws; (b) to comply with lawful requests and legal process, including to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (c) to enforce our Policy; and (d) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others.
You may also share personal data on comments boards on the Site. Please note that any information you post or disclose on the Site will become public information, and will be available to other users of our Site and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your personal data, or any other information, on the Site.
When we use the term “Anonymous Data”, we are referring to data and information that does not permit you to be identified or identifiable, either alone or when combined with any other information available to a third party.
We may create Anonymous Data records from the personal data we receive about you and other individuals whose personal data we collect. Anonymous Data also includes the analytics information collected by Google Analytics using cookies on our Site. We make personal data into Anonymous Data by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this Anonymous Data to analyze request and usage patterns so that we may improve the functionality of our Site.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFER
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal data within our organization. Unfortunately, no transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be completely secure, and transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the "Contact Information" section below.
YOUR CHOICES AND ACCESS
Marketing communications. With your consent, we may send you marketing emails and newsletters, which may include advertisements or communications regarding certain third parties selected by us where we consider such advertisements may be of interest to you. Such marketing emails tell you how to “opt-out.” If you opt out, we may still send you non-marketing emails. Non-marketing emails include emails about your accounts and our business dealings with you.
Request or Update Your Personal Data. The Act gives you the right to access the information we hold about you. If you wish to exercise this right in accordance with the Act, please contact us in accordance with the "Contact Information" section below.
You can also contact us in accordance with the "Contact Information" section below to update or correct any inaccuracies in the personal data we hold about you. In your request, please make clear what personal data you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your personal data that you have provided to us suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your personal data that you have provided to us. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal data associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion (e.g., when you make a donation, you may not be able to change or delete the personal data provided until after the completion of such donation).
We will retain your personal data for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
THIRD PARTY SITES
Our Site may contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these websites or their policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites. The links to third party websites or locations are for your convenience and do not signify our endorsement of such third parties or their products, content, or websites. If you disclose information to others, or authorise us to do the same under this Policy, the use and disclosure restrictions contained in this Policy will not apply to any third party (other than our Affiliates as described above). We do not control the privacy policies of third parties, and you are subject to the privacy policies of those third parties where applicable.
OUR POLICY ON CHILDREN
Our Site is not directed to children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us in accordance with the "Contact Information" section below. We will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably practicable.
SENSITIVE PERSONAL DATA
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive personal data (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Site or otherwise to us.