Salary: £25,275 (FTE) + optional pension
Location: Hackney, London
Part time: 2 days/week
Economy is looking for an Operations Officer with experience in HR and Finance and plenty of initiative to manage and develop our existing processes, working on a part time basis.
Economy is a young, dynamic, and rapidly growing charity with a mission to create a more understandable economics, giving people the confidence to question what economics means and shape what the economy could be. We provide jargon-free news and entertaining, imaginative, and down-to-earth content on our website. We also work with schools, communities, and economic institutions to create spaces for people to talk about the subject in an engaging and accessible way.
We grew out of the student Rethinking Economics movement in 2015, and launched as an independent charity in March 2016. In our first year we have made huge progress in making the case for a more understandable economics, rapidly expanding our network of allies and supporters, and producing high-quality engaging online content which embodies our mission.
Over the last two years our team has grown from a tiny team of two to our current staff of nearly ten, based in our lively and friendly coworking space in East London.
Economy welcomes applications from all members of the community. We strive to be an equal opportunities employer, and aim to accommodate special requirements wherever possible.
About the job
Salary: £25,275k pro rata (2 days/week) + optional pension
Start date: ASAP
Contract length: 1 year with the possibility of permanent
Holidays: 25 per year plus bank holidays (pro rata)
Based in: London
Reporting to: Director of Strategy and Operations
The ideal candidate will thrive from making Economy a lean and agile person-centred organisation. Economy is an organisation that wants to put its people at the heart of what we do - you will assist in developing HR processes that support a happy and productive team, and identifying areas of existing HR and Finance processes and policies that need improvement or development will be key to the role.
Areas of responsibility
- Maintaining Economy’s accounts, including:
- Processing and sending invoices and staff expenses.
- Updating and managing accounting software (with technical support from our accountant).
- Managing the administration of our Paypal and standard bank account.
- Liaising with our accountant ongoing accounting issues and to produce our annual reports.
- Developing efficient and easy to follow finance processes and policies.
- Managing the following HR processes
- Creating and updating processes and policies to facilitate the organisation’s internal workings and ensure that Economy is abiding by statutory requirements eg. staff handbook, leave procedure, induction checklist, invoice processing procedure, expenses policy etc.
- Drafting employment contracts and managing the induction of new staff.
- Managing and updating online HR software.
- Managing staff leave entitlement.
- Managing salary payments and pension processes.
- Supporting project managers to ensure health and safety within the office and organisation.
- Managing recruitment, including researching job roles, writing job adverts and managing the advertising of roles.
- Assisting with legal responsibilities of the charity including:
- Ensuring that terms and conditions of website and content are up to date and adhered to.
- Liaising with the accountant to ensure that the charity is complying by HMRC requirements, including paying NIC and taxes, and monitoring changes to HMRC requirements.
- Ensuring that the charity has the correct insurance to cover all of our activities.
- Keeping abreast of changes in the law that might affect the charity.
- Other general duties:
- Coordinating meetings of the HR and Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees and implementing action points resulting from those meetings.
- Assisting project managers in other aspects of the internal organisation of the charity.
- Maintaining edits to some public facing website pages
- Managing incoming general communications
- Providing input to team meetings and other meetings as necessary.
The role would suit a conscientious and organised individual who has a knack for improving and developing existing processes, largely independently, and enjoys a multi-faceted workload.
- Minimum two years' experience in a similar role
- Ability to make measured, independent judgements
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
- Initiative, and a proactive, ‘can-do’ attitude in the face of new challenges
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and organise workloads in order to meet deadlines for multiple tasks
- Commitment to the values and mission of Economy
- Willingness and enthusiasm for the challenges and responsibilities of this key role within a small, flexible and growing start-up
How to apply
To apply please submit a CV and covering letter to Strategy and Operations Director Joe Richards through the posting on Charity Job. by Midnight 3rd December 2017.
We will then invite a selection of candidates to interview, which will take place in London (with an option for joining over Skype) during the week commencing 11th December.