Would you like to be an Economy Trustee?
We're currently on the lookout for trustees to join our board.
In particular, we are seeking individuals with expertise in the following areas:
This role would work closely with other trustees and the staff team’s Fundraising Manager to secure the long-term future of the charity after its initial funding ends in September 2017.
This role would support trustees and the staff team to better achieve Economy’s goal of providing engaging online content about economics for the general public, via its website www.ecnmy.org and social media.
This role would support staff and trustees to better achieve Economy’s goal of campaigning to improve the way politicians, the media and academics communicate about economics.
Economy is a new and rapidly growing charity with a mission to create a more understandable economics, giving people the confidence to question what economics means and shape what the economy could be.
We grew out of the student movement, Rethinking Economics, and launched as an independent charity in March 2016, while still maintaining close links to Rethinking Economics. In our first year we have made huge progress in making the case for a more understandable economics, rapidly expanding our network of allies and supporters, and producing high-quality engaging online content which embodies our mission.
Our trustee board has a strong relationship with the staff team, working in close collaboration to launch and build the charity. We are now looking to expand and strengthen our trustee board to help us implement our exciting five year strategy and continue to develop as a sustainable and well-run organisation.
We expect all our trustees to be responsible for general oversight and leadership of the charity, by:
- Ensuring that Economy complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Actively contributing to the Board of Trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to Economy, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Safeguarding the good name and values of Economy
- Ensuring the effective and efficient administration and the financial stability of Economy
- Appointing the Directors and monitoring their performance
- Working with the fundraising manager to ensure all trustees use their expertise and networks to bolster the fundraising strategy.
What we're looking for
- Passionate about public economics education, committed to Economy’s mission, and share its values
- Willing to devote the necessary time and effort - attending a minimum of 3 trustee meetings per year, plus other ad hoc meetings or committee roles (travel expenses can be reimbursed if required). In total approx 1-2 days per month.
- Capable of exercising good independent judgement and thinking creatively to solve complex problems
- Willing to speak their mind in a Board setting, and to listen to others’ views
- Willing to understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
A charity trustee who has served for four consecutive years may not be reappointed for a fifth consecutive year, but may be reappointed after an interval of at least three years.
Economy is committed to providing equal opportunities for everyone regardless of their background. We particularly encourage applications from women, people of colour; people with disabilities (including mental illnesses or other long term illnesses); people from the LGBT+ community; and people who identify as working class. The role is unpaid, but we are able to reimburse travel expenses to attend meetings.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 20th January 2017. Please mention which of the three specific roles (fundraising, media, or public campaigning) you would be most interested in and explain briefly how you can demonstrate the qualities outlined above.
Interviews will take place in London or via Skype w/c 30th January. We'll formally approve the new appointments at our next trustee meeting on the 22nd of February 2017.
If you would like to discuss the positions before submitting an application, please feel free to contact Chair of Trustees Will Horwitz on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We're not recruiting for any staff positions at the moment at the moment, but if you're interested in working with us, drop us a line – or if you're local, come by for a chat – and tell us a little more about how you'd like to get involved!